Thursday, May 10, 2012

TIH 2003: NY Times admits fraud by one of its reporters.


May 10, 2003, the New York Times admits that one of its reporters has “committed frequent acts of journalistic fraud.”  IMHO, journalistic ethics appear weak at the NYT. Both left- and right-wing publications have this problem.  Another example is The New Republic (scroll down to "controversies.") Even Wikipedia has had it's problems.  I cite Wikipedia frequently and it has been used as a source in scholarly works. However, if I have problems with an article, I don't cite it.  Overall, the record suggests Wikipedia is generally reliable.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like when I read something interesting or of value I will often look up the topic in another source just for comparison and confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jr: Good idea, I try to do likewise. Unfortunately, so many writers are ideologically polarized that it is hard to figure out what is really going on. Too much is written and publicized by folks at the political extremes. It's hard to find anyone trying to write from the middle. As I have harped on before, journalistic ethics is largely an oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete